Monday, April 28, 2014

I am a liberal person

Note:
I am not a person with the qualification to actually justify this matter, this is simply my opinion and feelings about this matter. I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with entry.

DEFINITION
according to the Oxford dictionary:
Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one’s own; open to new ideas

ORIGIN:Middle English: via Old French from Latin liberalis, from liber 'free (man)'. The original sense was 'suitable for a free man', hence 'suitable for a gentleman' (one not tied to a trade), surviving in liberal arts. Another early sense 'generous' (compare with sense 4 of the adjective) gave rise to an obsolete meaning 'free from restraint', leading to sense 1 of the adjective (late 18th century).
source:  http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/liberal
A lot has happened in these few days and only today I had time to come to terms with myself, but I am not going to talk about that right now. What I am going to talk about is the conversation I had with a friend of mine; we come from different country, different background and have very different lifestyles. Due to that we have a lot of difference in opinion and point of view which is very understandable right? However I did not enjoy how he kept saying I am always different, how I ALWAYS have to have a different opinion than other people- even on general things. I had pause moment. I always knew I am a bit different but the way he said it made me think am I just that alien in this society.

The question was on repeat (probably still is)- am I such an alien? or am I, in fact an attention seeker? I analysed the facts and I came up with a conclusion- NO. I am not an alien. I just know what I want in life, I am just not strong enough to follow up with my actions.I am not a pious person but I always always fall back to religion as reference. After saying that people will then sometimes question as to why do I keep such 'wild' companies in my social circle. So this is where I have to say, I am liberal person. When I tell them I am liberal they say- oh you are the by stander, the in between the line, too afraid to make a decision and all that. NO, I simply respect and accept other people's behaviour or/and opinion, it does not mean I agree to it. I have always been liberal in a way I do not judge others, I just take initiative to understand it- like if a man steals from a grocery store and justifies that the economy had been bad so he had to steal for his baby, I would try to see where he is coming from and feel compassionate for him- BUT it does not make it right, you cannot justify a bad deed, you can justify an opinion but not a bad deed. So if a bad deed is done, take responsibility for it.


So when you say you are liberal or somebody tells you he/she is liberal or you think someone is liberal, just bare in mind that liberal refers to "Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one’s own; open to new ideas" and it is derived with the with the understanding the freedom of a man- and please do not say oh so that basically means atheist- because they are free of religion, of opinion and everything else there is (If you must, please review on what is freedom to you).If you feel that your religion and its obligation is restricting you then that will need a whole different conversation. I do not feel my religion is restricting me at all- I see as It has told me bits and pieces of life tips it is up to me whether or not to follow through with it. Bare in mind restriction is just a word to illustrate confinement of our actions, take it to extreme you will see a biased point of view "we do not need restrictions, we have brains to govern our actions" or "humans need restrictions as we have lust and etc.. that leads to compulsion of doing unlawful things". The way I see Islam does it, is that Islam reminds and warns us of things that is for sure will lead us to unfavourable things (do your research before saying Allah provides ridiculous obligations upon Its believers) . Thus it is only fair that we are served with what we bargained for with our stubbornness and ignorance when the warnings has been  laid out to us in the Al-Quran.


Something I always bare in mind when my tiny heart has the audacity to judge others, especially my own Muslim brothers and sisters:



"The believers will be saved from the Fire then they will be kept on a bridge between Paradise and Hell. They will settle their accounts with one another for any wrongs that existed between them in this world, until they are purified and cleansed, and will be permitted to enter Paradise. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, each of them will know his dwelling in Paradise better than he knew his dwelling in this world". (Sahîh al-Bukhâri, Kitâb ar-Riqâq, Bâb al-Qisas Yawm al-Qiyamah, Fath al-Bâri, 11/395)

Humans make mistakes, we are not prophets who are free of sins, the only difference we see in each other is that we sin differently.

Feel free to give a reaction, as they say for every action there is reaction.